The collection of Count of Argenteuil

The current holder of the title of Count of Argenteuil
has a modest collection of objects of Argenteuil and its region

In here is some parts exposed below

The reserved museographic themes evoke
the County of Argenteuil and its region in various periods.
They also include several features of the people of the region.

1735 - Landing a ship in Quebec

click on the picture

Original engraving and detachable attachment to a book entitled
"New and curious travel among the savages of northern America ",
by Sr. C. Beau, a lawyer Parliament, published in Amsterdam.

Note: The two figures on the right are probably Jesuits.

1777 - original engraving property of the Baron Amherst of Montreal

    

click on the pictures

Jeffery Amherst was born in Sevenoaks, Kent. It was page to the Duke of Dorset.
In 1731, he enlisted in the army and in 1741 became aide-de-camp to General John Ligonier .
He participated in the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745.

Appointed Commander-in-Chief in North America ,
Amherst is planning to attack three armies against Montreal :
James Murray up the St. Lawrence from Quebec
William Haviland from Lake Champlain
and Amherst himself forward from Lake Ontario.
In early September 1760, the junction of the three armed
works perfectly and led to the surrender of the French on September 8.
The Battle of Signal Hill and the surrender of Fort St. John
put an end to the French adventure in North America.

He was the first governor under the military occupation of New France from 1760 to 1763.
Amherst was also governor of Virginia from 1759 to 1768.
It was titled, in 1776, Baron Amherst of Holmesdale .
He was governor of Guernsey from 1770 to 1794. He retired with the title of marshal.

In 1788, another barony was conferred with the title of "Baron Amherst of Montreal".
The above engraving represents his family domain in Sevenoaks, Kent.

Engraving of William Watts - Famous English sculptor and engraver (1752-1851)

Another copy of this engraving is preserved in the Archives of Canada.

1789 - original engraving of Lord Hawkesbury property (near Croydon)

click on the picture

Charles Jenkinson (1727 - 1808), 1st Earl of Liverpool
known as Lord Hawkesbury
between 1786 and 1796, was a British statesman.

The City of Hawkesbury in Ontario, Canada and the Hawkesbury River in Australia
have been named so when this character was created Baron Hawkesbury.

1793 - Map of Seigniory of Argenteuil

click on the picture

By James Peachy, charged between 1773 and 1795,
topographic surveys to Samuel Holland, chief engineer surveyor
land of Quebec and northern America.
In 1788. He became a lieutenant in the First Battalion
of the 60th Infantry Regiment.

Approximately 1810 - Map of Seigniory of Argenteuil

click on the picture

1840 - An engraving of Lachute

click on the picture

The view shows the manorial mills and sawmills
located on the east side of the river at the location of falls

1850 - Drawing of a view of Carillon

click on the picture

1854 - A view of the canal at Carillon

click on the picture

1860 - A drawing of the first school of Grenville

click on the picture

1860 - Engraving of the Ottawa in the Jump of Carillon

click on the picture

1860 - Young local woman

click on the picture

Tintype of a young woman from Quebec with rings, a chain and a headband
The cheeks are tinted and jewelry are colored red gold.

1860 - Three local boys

click on the picture

A tintype of three boys. The cheeks are tinted.

Approximately 1860 - Two women in hat of the region

click on the picture

This is a tintype.

Approximately 1860 - A local couple

click on the picture

This is a tintype. The cheeks are tinted.

1868 - Beautiful original engraving
of the funeral of Thomas D'Arcy McGee in Montreal

click on the picture

Thomas D'Arcy McGee, (April 13, 1825 - APRIL 7 1868) was a Canadian journalist
and one of the Fathers of Confederation.

Born in Carlingford in Ireland April 13, 1825,
he emigrated to the United States in 1843 at the age of seventeen.
In 1857 he moved to Canada where he created a magazine in Montreal.

Politically active, he reaffirmed his anti-British sentiments
in its demand for Canadian independence from the United Kingdom.
In 1858 he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Canada
where he worked for the creation of an independent Canada.
Thomas D'Arcy McGee was elected to the first Canadian Parliament in 1867.
He represented the riding of Montreal West.

April 7, 1868, Thomas D'Arcy McGee was murdered in Ottawa at the age of 42 years.
It appears as one of the rare cases of political killings in Canadian history.

1860/1870 - A local couple

click on the picture

1870 - Local families

    

click on the picture

1880 - Three women of the region

click on the picture

1880 - The first presbytery and the first chapel of Grenville

click on the picture

1890 - The railway bridge in Lachute

click on the picture

See both artillery in the park.

1891 - original portrait of John Joseph Caldwell Abbott

click on the picture

John Joseph Caldwell Abbott, was born in 1821 and died 1893.
Born in Saint André d'Argenteuil, he led a successful career as a lawyer and became
quickly a pillar of the English Montreal business community.

In 1847, JJC Abbott and his brother Harry Braithwaite bought
shares of the Company Railroad Carillon and Grenville.

JJC Abbott was mayor of Montreal from 1887 to 1888.

He also sat in the House of Commons of Canada
and was appointed to the Canadian Senate in 1887.

He was the third Prime Minister of Canada from June 16th, 1891 till November 24th, 1892
and the first Canadian of origin to have occupied Prime Minister's post.

Photo 1891 - The house of John Joseph Caldwell Abbott in Montreal

click on the picture

This house was estimated at U.S. $ 65,000 in 1898

1891 - Engraving of the property rented by John Joseph Caldwell Abbott, to Earnscliffe

click on the picture

Original of a beautiful private portrait of John Joseph Caldwell Abbott, 1892

click on the picture

The third Prime Minister of Canada, born in Saint André d'Argenteuil.

1895 - Beautiful and rare opuscule on Adam Dollard des Ormeaux

              

click on the pictures

The Dupleix committee was a society of encouragement in the colonization,
the purpose of which is to draw the attention on colonies
and to make them better known.

1895 - The North river in Lachute

click on the picture

1895 - The railway bridge in Grenville / Hawkesbury

click on the picture

Completed in 1895, this bridge railway between Grenville and Hawkesbury
was built in order to connect the railway companies
Great Northen Railway of Canada and Canada Atlantic Railway.

Approximately 1895 - The church of Huberdeau

click on the picture

1896 - Station of Hawkesbury

click on the picture

1896 - Roman Catholic church in Hawkesbury

click on the picture

1897 - Celebrities of time

click on the picture

Approximately 1900 - Local couple

click on the picture

Approximately 1900 - Lake St. Joseph in St. Adolphe d'Howard

click on the picture

1900 - Boat on a river of the region

click on the picture

It is probably about the Saint Laurent, by moonlight.

Approximately 1900 - The Grenville Channel

click on the picture

Approximately 1900 - typical Scene of camping at the edge of a lake of the region.

click on the picture

1900 - The Convent of Providence in Saint André d'Argenteuil

click on the picture

1902 - A carriage of the region

    

click on the picture

The same photo colorized at two different times.

1903 - The village and the fall of Huberdeau

    

click on the picture

To note: the group of adults and children at the edge of the fall.

1900/1907 - The North river in Lachute

click on the picture

1905 - Church in Lachute

click on the picture

1905 - The convent of the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Lachute

click on the picture

1905 - Meikle store in Main street of Lachute

click on the picture

The Meikle store was opened in 1827.
To the left, the family home.

It is the store of John Meikle, a native of Glasgow, Scotland
which was one of the first traders of Lachute
and Robert Meikle, one of the first aldermen of the City,
who was also delegated from Argenteuil to the parliament of Quebec.

Approximately 1905 - The Grenville Channel

click on the picture

To 1905/1910 - Main Street Hawkesbury

click on the picture

Approximately 1910 - The Grenville Channel

click on the picture

Approximately 1910 - Waterfalls of Calumet

click on the picture

1910 - Landscape of Lake sixteen islands - Pays d'en haut

click on the picture

1911 - The Orphanage in Huberdeau

click on the picture

1913 - Carillon and Grenville train

click on the picture

Approximately 1915 - A view of Grenville Channel

click on the picture

click on the picture

The same photo colorized, some years later.

1915/1920 - Three schools of Hawkesbury

         

click on the pictures

Approximately 1920 - Aerial view of Lachute

click on the picture

Approximately 1920 - View Huberdeau and his orphanage

click on the picture

Approximately 1925/1930 - Landscape of Lake Hughes

click on the picture

1930 - Sugar shack, in summer

click on the picture

1930 about - Joly's Farm in Lachute

    

click on the pictures

Approximately 1930 - The railway bridge in Grenville / Hawkesbury

click on the pictures

Completed in 1895, this bridge railway between Grenville and Hawkesbury
was built in order to connect the railway companies
Great Northen Railway of Canada and Canada Atlantic Railway.

1931 - Interprovincial Bridge between Grenville (Quebec) and Hawkesbury (Ontario)

click on the picture

The Perley bridge was built in 1931 to connect Hawkesbury, Ontario Grenville Quebec.
A new bridge was built in 1996.
it was completed in 2000 and replaced the old bridge was destroyed.

1933 - Bridges connecting Grenville (Quebec) and Hawkesbury (Ontario)

click on the picture

Aerial view of both bridges, of which the Perley bridge.

Approximately 1935 - View of the Red River from the bridge of Huberdeau

click on the picture

1935 - View of Lake Ouimet in Saint Jovite

click on the picture

1935 - Hutton's store Lakeview - Harrington

click on the picture

Another copy of this photo is preserved
In the Library and national archives of Quebec.

Approximately 1935/1940 - Main street of Lachute

click on the picture

Approximately 1935/1940 - Landscape Lachute

cliquer sur l'image

Approximately 1935/1940 - Station of Lachute

cliquer sur l'image

Approximately 1935/1940 - Interprovincial Bridge between Grenville (Quebec) and Hawkesbury (Ontario)

click on the picture

1940 - Interprovincial Bridge between Grenville (Quebec) and Hawkesbury (Ontario)

click on the picture

1940 - A view of Grenville Channel

click on the picture

1940 - A view of Grenville Channel

click on the picture

Approximately 1940 - Main street of Lachute

click on the picture

1940 - The lake Saint Joseph to Saint Adolphe d'Howard

click on the picture

1940 - Summer Camp Chapleau - Wentworth North

click on the picture

Approximately 1945 - The memorial soldiers Lachute and park

click on the picture

Approximately 1945-1950 - The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in Lachute

click on the picture

1950 - View of Lake Macdonald

click on the picture

Approximately 1950 - Main street of Lachute

click on the picture

Approximately 1955 - Aerial view of Ayersville, Lachute and North River

click on the picture

1960 - Commemorative Envelope Adam Dollard des Ormeaux
and the Battle of Long Sault

click on the picture

1960 - Commemorative Envelope Adam Dollard des Ormeaux
and the defence of Fort Ste Marie

click on the picture

Approximately1960 - Landscape Carillon Islands in Saint André d'Argenteuil

click on the picture

Approximately 1960 - Saint André d'Argenteuil

click on the picture

"The Old Barracks".
The Historical Society of the County of Argenteuil
become the Argenteuil Regional Museum.

Approximately 1960 - Main street of Lachute

click on the picture

1967 - The main street of the commercial area of Hawkesbury (Ontario)

click on the picture

Approximately 1975 - Saint André d'Argenteuil

click on the picture

"The Old Barracks".
The Historical Society of the County of Argenteuil
become the Argenteuil Regional Museum.

Recently - Landscape Huberdeau

click on the picture

Recent period (1984) - Carillon Dam

click on the picture

1988 - The book "Carillon au fil de l'eau" (87 pages)

click on the picture

Published for the centenary from the village of Carillon.

Recently - The ferry Carillon Islands

click on the picture

© All these objects are owned by the current holder
of the title of Count of Argenteuil in Quebec.
Using photos and reproduction prohibited
without permission of the owner of these objects.

Back to the index
or
access to Count of Argenteuil site

© Alain Chebroux, Count of Argenteuil : www.count-argenteuil.com
© Count Alain Chebroux of Argenteuil. The Seigniory and the County : www.argenteuil.name